Support us! Click on Agoda’s banner to book your accommodation!
1. The Islands
Kota Kinabalu and its nature aren’t just impressing the visitors but the local themselves. Those islands that surround the city like a curtain wall protecting a castle are Gaya Island, Sapi Island, Manukan Island, Dinawan Island and Sepangar Island. A bit further away Mengalum and Layang-Layang Island. Whilst Sulug islands, Udor Island and Peduk Island are not being commercialized yet and never will due to their small size except for Sulug island that lays between Manukan and Sapi island that has a potential to be popular someday.
2. The beaches The beaches in Kota Kinabalu are top class and actually less touristy compare to those in Thailand and Bali and also at par when it comes to beauty. In no particular order, those popular and worth to visit beaches in Kota Kinabalu are the Tanjung Aru beach, Karambunai Beach, Sabandar Beach, Dalit Beach, Likas Bay Beach, Odec beach and Kinarut Beach.
3. The sunset Kota Kinabalu is also known as the city with a beautiful sunset. Among top spots for sunset watching is Tanjung Aru Beach, The Waterfront, Todak Waterfront, Anjung Selera, Oceanus Mall, Signal Hill, Likas Bay Beach, Odec Beach and Kokol Hill, 800 meters up on the mountain. Other than that, the Borneo cruise would take you further away in the sea, literally closer to the sun.
4. The seafood Kota Kinabalu and seafood is the most rhyme word to say and yes, the seafood in Kota Kinabalu is among the best, delicious and most of all fresh supplies. Literally the seafood you’re having literally took out of the sea and straight into the grill or the frying pan. The most popular place for seafood in the city are the Filipino Market, Anjung Selera, Todak Waterfront, Kampung Air and Anjung Senja.
5. The arts, cultures, museums, and galleries Kota Kinabalu has a unique collection of arts, cultures, museums and tons of galleries to visit. The most popular would be the Sabah State Museum, Mari-Mari Cultural Village, KDCA Cultural Village, Borneo Cultural Village, Linangkit Cultural Village and Monosopiad Cultural Village.
6. The Waterfront The advantages of a city by the ocean is it will be packed with waterfronts. They are the perfect spots to spend your evening hangout and for sunset watching. Among the waterfront in Kota Kinabalu are The Waterfront, Anjung Selera, Anjung Senja and Todak Waterfront are the waterfront you could find in Kota Kinabalu.
7. The Nightlife This small city nightlife isn’t that bad given the number of tourists it’s receiving annually, nightlife is quite happening here yet more laidback. The Waterfront, right infront of the Centre Point Shopping mall is the main centre of the night life in Kota Kinabalu and some other bars and clubs are scattered around the city.
8. The shopping How else do you want to spend your time in a city? Shopping it is!!! Shopping in Kota Kinabalu ranging from high end shopping mall like the Imago Shopping mall, all the way to the popular Gaya Street Sunday Market.
9. The worshipping places Being a multi-ethnic and multi-religious state, Sabah actually has one of the most beautiful mosques in Sabah, the Kota Kinabalu City Mosque is like a fairytale structure as well as the temples are beautiful too.
10. Nature & wildlife Kota Kinabalu is located within the world oldest tropical jungle in the world, older than the Amazon forest. Visit the Lok Kawi Wildlife Park, Kota Kinabalu Wetland Park, Tagal Tinopikon Park, Gayana Marine conversation park, Kipandi Butterfly Park and Shangri-La Rasa Ria Forest Reserve.
11. The highlands Kokol Hill, 800 meters above the sea level just 30 minutes driving away from the Kota Kinabalu city. Kokol Hill would would present you a 180 degree view of the Kota Kinabalu city valley. It has the most stunning sunset view and the temperature is slighter colder given it’s higher altitude.
12. The hiking Do you know, within the Kota Kinabalu district that covers Tuaran, Tamparuli, Telipuk, Kota Belud there are 39 hiking spots to choose from? Yes, the locals love hiking and there will more hiking spots going to be open soon, will update you later! Don’t worry! Get a chance to mingle with local, it’s an activity that you should do. Go check our Forums for hiking activity, join or start one.
Tags: Sabah tourism, visit sabah, cuti sabah, kota kinabalu, beach, hiking, nature, sunset, kota kinabalu city mosque, floating mosque & TAR Park.